Friday, April 27, 2007

A Mighty Fortress

In our morning devotion, God has blessed Caleb and me through the Psalms and now we are on to Proverbs, a good book to read together for parent and child! As for our hymn of the week, we are singing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God." I am not very good with the old English language and so I sometimes find myself not fully understanding what I am singing when it comes to certain old hymns. Now with Caleb, I am forced to study more carefully what the words mean because he asks for its meaning after every single phrase. It sometimes takes us over 15 minutes to sing just one hymn!

It might have been easier just to sing "Jesus loves me" with Caleb. But I am also convinced of the value of teaching him from young great hymns of the past and to exult in foundational biblical truths through praise. And what wonderful opportunity God is using to teach me as well. Indeed a mighty fortress is my God as Martin Luther penned it, "Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing."

Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God's truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.

These words from Martin Luther's hymn ring so true to me, especially after having listened again to John Piper's message entitled "Doing Missions When Dying is Gain" on Desiring God's podcast yesterday. I pray that my hope is built not on goods or kindred (yes, kindred!) or my mortal body, but on my Lord Jesus Christ alone, a bulwark that never fails!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home