Thursday, January 12, 2006

From the Lips of Children

We've been going through the Foundation Verses with Caleb for a while now and he can recite up to about 20 verses with prompts here and there. I must admit how little "faith" I had when I first saw this pack that Andy ordered. I looked through it and thought to myself, "even I as an adult would have trouble reciting or memorizing these 76 verses."

Andy's been going through the verses with Caleb each night, and since we still have the baby monitor in Caleb's room, I actually get to eavesdrop on their nightly activity. It is a blessing for me to hear the verses recited as part of my own devotion too, being reminded of God's wonderful promises and character. I am amazed not because as a 2.5-year-old Caleb can memorize and articulate the words, but by God's enabling of the little heart and lips that are so evil and depraved to utter Biblical truth. I pray this will lay a foundation for him and that God will cause him to respond in faith one day.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger Evers said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Evers said...

Thanks for the tip, Daos! I hadn't really realized that DG had a separate set for toddlers. We purchased the Fighter Verses a long time ago but never got around to actually memorizing them; they were especially a bit too intimidating for teaching Matthew (as for ourselves, we're just not diligent enough =-( ). I've just ordered a set and have a new project for Matthew.

I'd love to hear some tips on how you are training/teaching Caleb (give him a reference?).

P.S. "God's enabling of the little heart and lips that are so evil and depraved..." ah the voice of maternal tenderness. The same reality has certainly come to my consciousness more than once since we became parents ourselves!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Grace said...

We've got the Fighter Verses too but are also not diligent enough to get started...

As for Caleb, first we just started with referring to the verses by their order in the pack. The first verse, second verse etc. So when we say the second verse, he would say "No one can serve two masters." Later, we started adding the book/chapter reference but I think that works for a number of verses only, and it gets overwhelming over time. Sometimes he goes by what he sees in the picture in the pack. And most of the time, we start off the verse for him by saying the first couple words and he would complete it. And of course, it's never word for word. One time, he was supposed to recite "He is a shield to those who take refuge in him." And out of nowhere, he said "...to those who take refuge in the cross." That took us by surprise, we said it's "take refuge in him" but then "take refuge in the cross" sounds good too!

Hope Matthew enjoys it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home