Thursday, April 27, 2006

"Homeschooling???"

It was a really nice day out after weeks of rain. Caleb and I went to a nearby park this morning to meet up with another mother from the church we used to attend. This friend and her 2-year-old daughter were lost and ended up getting there late. And God granted me the opportunity, while waiting at the park, to meet a homeschooling mom with her youngest five children (the older four are in private high school). It was quite an experience chatting a little bit with a mom of 9 homeschooling 5 while I am fretting homeschooling 1!!!

My friend finally arrived with her daughter and also called up another sister who lived nearby to join us. This other sister who also attends our old church has a 10-month old. She started asking me if I am sending Caleb to preschool, which is an all-too-common question I get these days as Caleb is already 3. And as the conversation went on, I found out she used to be a preschool teacher. And of course, once the topic of homeschooling Caleb surfaced, I was bombarded with more questions that I've been asked before, such as how he is going to learn to play with other kids, to be independent, to be not so attached to me, to socialize, so on and so forth, especially he's the only kid...

It can get quite overwhelming at times with subtle "oppositions" like these even though I already know my stance on the issue which I would share from time to time with a receptive listener. I anticipate more of this kind of scenarios in the days ahead, and I pray for God's wisdom in my response that I may not only give an answer to the questioner but minister to him/her at the same time. And I thank God for the special touch of allowing me to meet a homeschooling mom just prior to the conversation this morning, and for the fact that 90% of the families at our church homeschool (so I always know where to go for support and resources)!

The road is definitely long ahead as I am so new in this. And it is hard sometimes seeing where God is leading and what comes around the bend in the road. But the Lord is good and I can trust in Him in all things.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Minette said...

Hi Grace,
I know what you mean, especially talking to all the elementry teachers that we know. I learned recently that if we believe that God has called us to raise our children righteously in this wicked generation, it doesn't matter if homeschooled kids are generally smarter or more adjusted (as studies indicate) or not, we must follow what God has called us to do. Hang in there... in a few more years, maybe Caleb and Eli can do some special projects together while they learn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home