Monday, January 23, 2006

The Invisible Hand

Months of pain and discomfort have arrived at the diagnosis of gallstones. A laparoscopic cholecystectomy is scheduled for Wednesday. A surge of fear and anxiety consumed my heart when I was at the surgeon's office last Monday for the diagnosis and recommendations. Even though it is likely to be a minor surgery, I felt God was using it to further refine me and my faith that needed so much to be exercised.

I remembered a book Andy had on God's providence, and sure enough I found R. C. Sproul's "The Invisible Hand--Do All Things Really Work for Good" on the shelf. I'm going through it as a reminder of God's Providence in the midst of my light and momentary trials. Though the procedure, outcome, and side effects are unknown to me, God knows it all perfectly. And His purpose is wise and holy. The Word of the Lord comforts me in saying: "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father." (Matthew 10: 29)

I thank my God for my victory in Him through Jesus Christ. And I thank God for the assurance I find in His Word and not in man's words. There have been moments I desperately needed peace this past week and I praise the Lord for granting that to me each time I cried out to Him. I look forward to finishing this book during my recovery, and the opportunity of reading many more by John Piper that Andy has collected on his shelf.

His hand, though invisible, is near. Blessed be the name of the Lord!

1 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Evers said...

FYI, we're praying with and for you. And thankful that God is graciously using this time to strengthen and refine your faith.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home