Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"Boring" Truth?

When we were at the park the other day, Caleb pointed out to me and the other two mothers who were with us that the sprinklers were on watering the big lawn across from the playground. Knowing me, I straightly responded explaining to him that yes the rainy season is over, the weather is getting dry, and so they need to start watering the grass so it will stay green. After that, one of my friends said to him, "The grass is taking a shower! Do you take showers too?" Caleb said with a smile, "Yes!" And I thought to myself, "That was really creative! What a figurative way of making things more interesting to a 3-year-old than my boring answer!"

A couple days later, during dinner, Caleb all of a sudden started telling Andy that the grass was dirty at the park and so needed to take a shower. At that, I recalled what had happened and explained the whole story to Andy. That's when both of us looked at each other with a quiet mutual understanding: perhaps the boring answer was more truthful. And we went on to realize how it applies to biblical truths as well. Many nowadays have used their human wisdom (with good intention) to make the "boring" Gospel more interesting by various creative means, hoping to attract more people to the Truth. But by doing so, they have sometimes twisted the truth, or removed it altogether, “minimizing” the power of the Gospel and the sovereignty of God.

Andy may have more to say here. But for now, I ask God to safeguard me from ever allowing any trace of human wisdom or creativity to taint my perception or presentation of the Truth.

2 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Evers said...

You are SO right.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Evers said...

Another thought: this is a classic example of dumbing things down for kids. And yet my own child shocked me the other day. I was apologizing to Matthew for getting angry earlier in the day, and he just replied, "A soft answer turns away wrath." I did a double-take, cuz this is the first verse in a book we have titled ABC Bible Verses. In other words, he understood it. Amazing.

May we not be content simply explaining the gospel to our children or anyone else in dumbed-down or watered-down terms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home