Monday, July 31, 2006

Getting Started

Now that my mom has returned to Hong Kong and all the major summer family activities have subsided, and realizing once again that my engineering career has ended, and while waiting for God's timing in the healing of my post-surgery GI problems, I tell myself I'd better get a homeschooling routine started before I slip into a slack-off mode. So started today, I actually made up a daily schedule for Caleb and me to follow. He got really excited about all the color-coded activities on the schedule of which I made two copies (one posted on the wall in his room so he gets to see it when he wakes up and one posted on the fridge so we can refer to it throughout the day).

One particular activity I put on the schedule is a morning worship time. We prayed together this morning, read Psalm 1 from this Family Worship Bible that was given to us as a wedding gift 12 years ago, and sang a song in the music section at the end of the bible. Caleb actually recited Psalm 1 with me since that was part of his learned Foundation Verses.

Another activity I've included is phonics since Caleb has learned all his alphabets early on and has been showing interests in learning how to read. Thanks to our friends' recommendation, I've started using The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading with Caleb and am liking it.

Well, this first day has not been easy but by God's grace we are both learning in many ways.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home