Thursday, February 02, 2006

Life as a Vapor

While I was reading R. C. Sproul's The Invisible Hand this past week, I also picked up John Piper's Life As A Vapor from Andy's collection. It's been a week since my surgery and I am grateful to God for speaking to me through His own Word and through the writings of His servants. R. C. Sproul's comprehensive and profound analysis and presentation of the topic on God's Providence was very impactful to me, and John Piper's honesty in dealing with life as a vapor was a challenge to deepen my faith in a God who is sovereign, merciful, and wise. These three characters are important to my understanding of and response to life's light and momentary trials. I had wanted to quote something from Piper's book but realized I would end up quoting the whole book!

As I reflect on this past week, I want to thank God for:
  1. Sending this timely trial to refine my faith
  2. Granting me peace as an answer to my prayer in each step of the process, from learning about the diagnosis to the last dose of anesthesia injected before I fell asleep
  3. Allowing Andy to take a week off to take care of Caleb and me
  4. Brothers and sisters and family who prayed with and for me
  5. Strength and grace in my recovery process

I have much growing to do still in this short life and I ask for God's mercy and patience in teaching me. I pray that as this momentary vapor prepares me for eternal glory I will catch a glimpse of it beginning in this life by finding my satisfaction in Him alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home